Friday, June 29, 2007

June 28th - Midweek update



















My overall goal for the next month is to gradually build up from a mileage in mid-30s to the high 40s by the end of July. Here's my weekly mileage over the last month:

Weekly Distance Totals (miles)
May 28, 2007, to Jul 1, 2007
Printer-friendly graph

Sport: Running Workout: all Route: all

Week of

12.55 |

18.55 |

24.55 |

30.55 |

36.55 |

42.55 |
May 28, 2007 12.55
Jun 4, 2007 35.40
Jun 11, 2007 35.60
Jun 18, 2007 36.48
Jun 25, 2007 22.10


I'm planning on adding between 5-10 miles this week. This time of the year is especially challenging because I'm staring down the double barrel of rising heat and rising mileage. This is the first week that we've started seeing temps in the 90s, which makes it tough to get motivated to run in the mornings. Here's a brief rundown of what I have done this week:

Mon - 30 min. functional training, recovering well after Sunday's race
Tue - 7.8m @ 7:37, crazy hot, 93 degrees, but a nice breeze.
Wed - 30 min. pool run
30 min. functional training
Thu - 8m @ 8:40, found some nice trail running
- 6m, including 3.5m (21:09) of JP Morgan Corporate Challenge
Total: 22 miles

The highlights of the week were getting back in the pool and Corporate Challenge. I haven't run in the pool for about a month now, and I forgot how relaxing it was to just zone out. Recently, I've been experimenting with using my iPod near the pool and it makes the time pass much quicker.

The race was really low key. I entered on a whim and then two days before found I had another commitment and it couldn't run. I did a longish run Thursday morning and then found out later on in the day that the evening event had been canceled, so I was free to run! Having run in the morning really emphasized the point that I wasn't going to go all out. The heat from the past few days dissipated a bit, making race conditions more bearable. I ran into a couple friends in the staging area, and then did a 2 mile warm-up with a BAA teammate. Then, I squeezed myself into the front area of the crowd and tried to stay limber. There were a lot of short speeches by the suits, which was followed by the most ridiculous pre-race spectacle I have ever seen. A tall, attractive member of the Boston Sports Club Staff proceeded to lead us through a calisthenic warm-up. I'm not sure who she was reaching, because the front 500 people that could actually see her were packed like sardines, and the people further back had no chance of seeing her. Ridiculous!

The race finally began... turns out official times are self reported. Hello honor system! I started with a conservative pace. There were a lot of guys blowing by me, some who didn't seem to be able to hold the pace. As usual, I passed a lot of runners that should not have lined up this far ahead, but its hard to blame them for lining up this far ahead with a 12,000 strong field. I settled into a groove by around the 1st mile (missed the mile marker). I made the turn at Kenmore and still felt pretty good. The next mile felt like what runners in the 5th Avenue Mile; you can see the finish line, but its literally a mile away. I started to pick it up a bit making the turn on to Boylston St., and then really hit my stride on the Charles St. I could see the time clock running and knew I wasn't going to break 21, but I was going to try to get as close as possible. I picked off runners as best as I could and crossed the line just before it hit 21:10. I missed a couple mile markers, but my splits were 12:08 for 2 miles (6:04), and 9:01 for the last 1.5 miles (6:00). A good effort and a good workout.

No comments: