Monday, August 6, 2007

Week of 7/30 - 8/5: Back up to 50+ miles



This was an up and down week for me. It started well with a new 10 mile PR at the Yankee Homecoming (see below for the race report). However, as the week progressed, the cumulative fatigue from last weekends revelry and the race started to catch up to me. In addition, I committed the faux pas of playing basketball the day after the race and really suffered the consequences on Thursday. Fortunately, we still haven't been slammed with any hot weather yet, so I still managed to get my mileage back over 50 for the week. Here's how it looked:

Recap of the Week

Mon: AM - 30 min. pool run; PM - 30 min. stationary bike, 30 min. core work
Tue: 14.5m total - 2.5m warm-up, 10m race (6:25 pace), 2m cool down
Wed: 1.5 hr of basketball
Thu: AM - 5.5m (8:36 pace), hot and humid, really tired, tough run; PM - 6.0m (10:00 pace), recovery run, still hot and humid, feeling better
Fri: off
Sat: 10.5m - 1m warm-up, 6m @ MP (6:51 pace), 2.5m cool-down (9:15 pace), felt lousy in the morning, but better during the MP portion; Played 1.5 hr of basketball afterwards
Sun: 16m - 8:30 pace, got a little lost on the run, but it was a scenic detour.
Total - 52.5 miles

Overall, I have to take full responsibility for feeling crappy this week as it was all self-inflicted. On a positive note, the marathon pace run on Saturday was very encouraging. I was holding 6:50s comfortably, and my HR was holding steady (156-157 or 81% of MHR) despite the hot and humid conditions. I'm happy I'm continuing to run injury-free, but I gotta go catch up on some rest. Till next week!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Excellent week, Wayne. You're a gifted runner... love those stats on the HR. Running 6:50's at 150's in heat and humidity - on 50 mpw?? that's amazing. Thanks for the link you posted on my blog.

Ryan said...

PS - what "revelry" did you partake in last week?

wayfool said...

glad you found the link useful.

I was in NYC for a friends 30th birthday. always an adventure!