Monday, November 5, 2007

Let the taper begin! Week of 10/29-11/4

Coming off of a great training week, I was really looking forward to tapering. I've felt generally tired, but not overtrained, for the last month or so and I think I was riding the edge last week. However, this first taper week has made a world of difference and I feel the pop returning in my legs. Did about a 20% mileage cut.

Mon: off
Tue: AM - 6.1 miles @ 7:21, PM - 5.3 miles @ 10:00
Wed: AM - 30 min. pool run and core workout
Thu: 10.9 miles @ 7:31; great run, half on trails
Fri: off
Sat: 17.5 miles @ 7:17 with last 7 miles @ 6:37
Sun: 7 miles @ 7:33
Total: 47 miles

Overall, a very good tapering week. I've noticed with the weather cooling that the pace of my runs have dropped about 15 sec./mile. I was especially happy with the fast finish run on Saturday. This has become a regular tune-up workout for me two weeks out from the marathon. I do the reverse of the Boston Marathon out to Wellesley and once I pass the Newton Lower Falls Wine Co., I pick it up to MP for 7 miles. The last 10 miles were in the middle of the Noel Nor'easter, so it was fairly windy going through the Newton Hills. I was able to hold MP the whole way, so I am more confident that I can hold a 6:40 the whole way.

Plan for next week
Mon: pool run & core work
Tue: 8 miles easy
Wed: AM - pool run & core, PM - 5 mile
Thu: 7 miles including 3x1600m @ 6:20, jog 200m between
Fri: off
Sat: 12-13 miles easy
Sun: 5-6 miles easy
Total: 37-39 miles

No comments: