Monday, October 22, 2007

Race Report - Boston Firefighter 10K

This is the first time I have implemented consistent cut-back weeks in my training (one every four weeks) and I have to say its really helped get me through the high mileage weeks. Whether or not this strategy eventually pays off won't be evident until race day. For now, I'll just enjoy the lightness I feel after a 40 mile week. Here how it went:

Summary week of 10/15-21:

Mon:
30 min.
pool run, 30 min. core work; legs feeling much better after Hartford
Tue: 12.7 miles - 2.7 mile w/u; 1600, 4x800, 1600 @ 5:38; feeling sharp today with
cooler weather. Pace felt comfortable. Had a nice long cool down.
Wed: 30 min. pool run, 30 min. core
Thu: 11 miles @ 7:50, comfortable fall run on the trails of the Arboretum.
Fri: off

Sat: 5.6 miles @ 8:38; easy run around Jamaica Pond, last Boston Fit run of the season
Sun:
10.2 miles including Boston Firefighter 10K.
Total: 39.5 miles


There were a couple factors that convinced me to run a race this weekend. For one, I
was coming off a cutback week, so I would be well rested. I also wanted one last test of my fitness, and with 4 weeks to go until Philly, this was the perfect time. So I set out looking for a local race, anything from 5-8 miles. I came across the Boston Firefighter 10K on the Racer's Resource, but there was no website. After some targeted web surfing, I found last year's results and the course. The course starts just south of Neponset circle, goes straight up Route 203, does a loop around the UMass Boston campus, and then comes back. I haven't raced a 10K since the James Joyce Ramble. It was 2 weeks after Boston and predictably slow (38:41). The clincher for me was the winning time of 36:55, which I thought was well within my range. Wow, I would actually have a chance of winning a race.

Race day arrived and it was sunny, but a little on the warm side (high 60s). I didn't have a specific race strategy today other than to start out behind the leaders and then try to finish strong on the way back, starting around mile 4. I had no idea about the competition, but figured it would be similar to last year's race. My wife drove me down to the start line, which was very easy to find, and I got changed with plenty of time to spare. I was more nervous than usual before a race and during my warm-up jog (which was definitely slower than an 8 min/mile), my HR was up to 155. I scouted out the last mile and didn't notice anything worth noting. After getting back to the car and changing into my racing flats, I did a quick series of strides, thanked Christina for coming with me and headed off for the start line. By the time I got there, the bagpipes were playing and they were making pre-race announcements.

After winding my way to the front, I spent the next 5 minutes just trying to stay loose. I got an intense staredown from a fast looking guy in a long sleeve shirt and figured he was competition. I looked at the flashing
LED display up ahead and saw 65 degrees; warm, but not too bad. The gun went off (5 minutes early) and I went with the leaders. The front runner, whom I saw during the warm-ups, looked really comfortable. The guy in second was none other than the staredown dude. To my right was a guy who already looked like he was struggling, so I focused on Staredown as my main rival. As we rounded Neponset Circle, I felt like I was already going too fast and I let Staredown pull away. He was already starting to look less fluid, but I didn't want to blow it on the 1st mile. Still, it was way to fast for me (5:37) and I had already broken my pre-race mantra of going out slow. I found a good rhythm by the 2nd mile (5:59) and Staredown had a good 100m lead on me. Oh well, I thought, podium placing ain't bad. Shortly after mile 2, another guy wearing a blue jersey came up on me and shortly thereafter passed me. He looked pretty comfortable and it was still too early to go with him, so I also let him go by. Crap, now I'm in 4th! We made a sharp right turn on the UMass Boston campus, and I was quickly falling into no-man's land. I wasn't sure if I was paying for the fast start, but I just didn't feel comfortable (not that anyone does during a 10K). When I went by the 3rd mile marker in 6:05, I knew I was slowing down. I tried to hold it together coming out of the campus and just limit my losses. My legs felt ok, but I was breathing pretty heavily and just didn't feel like I was in a groove.

As I neared mile 4, I noticed that I hadn't lost any ground to the kid in the b
lue jersey and this was my first positive thought since the start of the race. When I passed the mile marker (6:13), I just decided to pick it up. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to hold it, but I reasoned that I'm in marathon shape now and should have plenty left in the tank. I slowly reeled in the kid in the blue jersey and passed him on the crest of small hill, almost at the same spot where he had passed me earlier, but on the opposite side of the road. He tried to hang with me for a bit, motivated also by the thought of a podium placing, but I could tell his breathing was getting ragged and he lasted for about 400m before fading back. I was trying to maintain enough pressure to make him work, but not wear myself out. Staredown was also back in sight, but he was a good 200m ahead of me by now, and catching him was going to require some work. I was still maintaining the same pace, and although it didn't feel good, I thought I could hold it for another mile and a half. When I reached mile 5 (5:59), I had cut the deficit in half. By now, I could tell that he was laboring as well. His stride was choppier than before, and he was carrying some tension in his shoulders. That was all the motivation I needed to just keep pounding. I don't think he realized I was catching up. Even when I was within 10m or so, I don't think he realized I was coming because of the crowds near the finish. I passed Staredown with about half a mile to go, on a curving right bend heading into Neponset Circle. I don't think he made an attempt to stay with me, but at this point, I was just focused on keeping a high cadence. I was feeling pretty lousy by now (see pic on left) and just wanted to get to the finish line. The finishing straight was mercifully short, but I felt like I was going to dry heave. I slowed briefly for a partial dry heave, and then made the last push to the finish line.

                      25th Annual Boston Firefighters 10k Road Race
PLC Time Pace PLC/Group PLC/Sex Bib# Name Town, State
1 35:39 5:45 Age? 1 M 753 Paul Hughes Scituate,MA
2 36:58 5:58 Age? 2 M 604 Wayne Chan Brookline,MA
3 37:04 5:59 Age? 3 M 509 Frederic Baillif Saint Louis,UN
Wow... I came in 2nd! I couldn't believe it. Even though I hadn't won the race, I was extremely happy with my effort today. Besides, 1st place was so far ahead of me that even if I had tried harder... I just wasn't in the same class as him. Although I
had gone out a little fast, I didn't panic when I fell into 4th place. I was confident in my training and I pushed through the pain. After being disappointed with my finishing fortitude at the BAA Half, I told myself during this race that I wasn't going to do that again. The only crtique I have is I think I could have gone out slower. This was the first time I stuck around for the awards ceremony... so cool to get a trophy. All in all a very satisfying day of racing.

Boston Firefighter 10K by the numbers:
Mile Split Lap Avg. HR Max HR Average
1 5:37 5:36.9 173 180 5:36.9
2 11:35 5:58.6 177 179 5:47.8
3 17:41 6:05.3 176 179 5:53.6
4 23:54 6:13.2 177 179 5:58.5
5 29:53 5:59.2 180 183 5:58.6
6 35:46 5:53.0 183 184 5:57.7
6.2 36:58 1:11.8 184 185 5:57.7

This next week will be my last hard week of training before the marathon. It will be tough, but I think with the cut back, I should be able to handle it.

Plan for next week:
Mon: 6 miles EZ, core work
Tue: 10 miles including 2x2 miles at half-marathon pace
Wed: 6 miles EZ, core work
Thu: 10 miles @ marathon pace
Fri: off
Sat: 22 miles at a comfortable pace
Sun: 4 miles recovery run
Total: 59 miles

No comments: