Monday, April 7, 2008

Marathon Sports City Run 5m Report

Following up on a great training week, I really eased into it this week. On Monday, I did a 30 min spin, although I'm not sure it was even fast enough to be called spinning. The past few marathons, my 1st taper week has typically been about a 20% cut in mileage, but I've tried to keep the intensity up. Fortunately, Marathon Sports was sponsoring a 5 miler, so I could take a good shot at my 5 miler PR while still getting in a good training session. Here how the week went:

3/31-4/6
Mon: 30 min. bike, 30 min. core; legs tired, but not totally shot
Tue: 9 miles w/ 2x2000m @ 5:56; 1st one sluggish, 2nd one smoother, easy c/d on the track
Wed: off
Thu: 9.7 mile @ 7:39; nice to be finally back on the trails. Legs feeling recovered
Fri: off
Sat:
5 miles @ 7:28; relaxed base run
Sun: 15 miles including 5 mile race
Total: 38.7 miles

The weather forecast had called for a sunny day in the 50s, but it was overcast and in the low 40s. I just got our new BAA uni's, so it was a good day to test them out. As I still wanted to be in the high 30s for the week, I did an easy 5 mile run to the river and back, and then did a few more just before the race. I lined up with my teammates and was looking forward to taking a large chunk out of my 5 mile PR. Here's my log entry:

"Wasn't sure how my legs would react to racing after the long w/u. Headed out reasonably fast behind some crazy high school kids trying to get some camera time on CCTV before crashing a quarter mile into the race. Tucked in behind brett ely by mile 1. 2nd mile was windy. Broke wind for awhile, then decided to let the 2nd woman and another guy do the work as we rounded by Mobil station. Made the turn into the fresh pond and felt relatively comfortable and moved past the guy who had passed me. Mile 3 was sheltered and it actually felt warm. Worked off of 2nd woman. Passed her shortly after mile 3 and tried to keep Brett and guy in red shirt within striking distance. Starting to feel it by 4 mile split with dirt path uphill section. Made the turn back to the roads and was surprised by the uphill. Brett put in a surge and I couldn't catch her. Tried to reel in the next guy, but legs were dead and weren't responding. Last mile was the slowest. Still a PR by 14 seconds. Based on HR, could have pushed harder, but just couldn't access the upper gear."

So I managed a 29:36 (5:56/mile) under windy conditions, good for 14th overall and 3rd in my division. Here are the results. I wanted to run a fast final mile, but something in my head told me not to drop the hammer. Coming off a hard training week, and with two weeks remaining until Boston, I think a low 2:50s in the marathon is within reach provided race day conditions are ideal... always a crapshoot with New England weather!

Splits:
1 -
5:48 (157/167)
2 - 5:58 (170/173)
3 - 5:51 (174/176)
4 - 5:58 (175/177)
5 - 6:00 (174/176)

No comments: