Sunday, April 20, 2008

'Twas the night before Boston....

...and everything seems to be coming together. The weather doesn't get any better than this:

Time Condition Feels
Like
Chance
Precip
Dew
Point
Humid. Wind
10am
Mostly Cloudy
53°F
51°F 20% 38°F 57% From E 6 mph
11am
Mostly Cloudy
56°F
54°F 20% 38°F 51% From E 7 mph
12pm
Mostly Cloudy
58°F
57°F 20% 38°F 47% From E 7 mph
1pm
Mostly Cloudy
59°F
58°F 20% 37°F 44% From E 8 mph
2pm
Mostly Cloudy
60°F
59°F 20% 37°F 42% From E 8 mph
3pm
Mostly Cloudy
60°F
59°F 20% 37°F 42% From E 8 mph

The only thing missing is a 20 mph tailwind! I finally started feeling rested and ready this week. Right now, I'm feeling more eager and excited, as opposed to nervous. For the first time since Austin 2007, I didn't get sick the week leading up to the marathon, so I imagine that's contributed to my zen state. As I look back on my preparation for Boston, it hasn't been as consistent as my build-up to Philadelphia. I've had a couple minor injuries, so my mileage has not been as high (Aug-Oct. versus Jan.-Mar.)
The difference in mileage can largely be attributed to doing fewer base/recovery runs. This time around, I have less tempo mileage, but it has been balanced by longer races that are hard tempo efforts. My long run mileage is there, and I've been more consistent with intervals this time around. I suspect I replaced a lot of Monday/Wednesday runs with cross training, but I can't be sure without looking at my log more closely.
So that brings me to time goals. The drop in mileage did not seem to affect my half marathon times, as I set a 1 minute PR at New Bedford. However, you can't fake fitness in the marathon. My last long run over the Boston course did give me a tremendous amount of confidence, so I'm going to set two fairly ambitious goals:

1. PR, i.e. faster than 2:55:31
2. Get as close to 2:50 as I can.

With those time goals in mind, I'm going to set out at 6:30 pace and do an assessment at the halfway point, and then again as I head into the Newton Hills. Look out for me tomorrow... yellow jersey... #2016.

Good luck to all you Boston hopefuls tomorrow... its definitely PR weather!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Wayne!

Good luck today....this is going to be your race!!!!

Hang Tough and Get it Done...I'll be looking for you!!!

Nick

Ryan said...

CONGRATS ON A KILLER BOSTON. I tracked you... very consistent splits. Look forward to your report. I want to be in the 2:5x club!!!